Thread: Water leak
View Single Post
      02-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So I'm new to the E86 chassis; I've only had mine about two months. But last weekend it was warm so I had chance to dig around a bit and check out the design an engineering of the E86 chassis. I'm quite familiar with BMWs after 26+ years of owning them. Anyway, the cowl drain on the Coupe is HUGE. If you look on the passenger-side under the hood near the firewall you'll see a big, flat oval rubber tube, with a big rubber flap at the end. That's the cowl drain. Check to see if the flap is opening correctly, and that it isn't full of debris, or a mouse hasn't built a nest in the drain. I'd suggest finding a shop and asking them to shoot some compressed air back up the drain tube in case it is clogged.

Also, if you can find a shop with a smoke test machine (they use them to find vacuum leaks) the shop can use the smoke machine to find leaks in the cowling/windshield seal. I doubt the water is coming through the door since the door drains are below the door sill, but you should check them for clogging as well.

Good luck.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0