View Single Post
      10-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
mimarcos
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MR, 2011 135i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
What you're experiencing, is either the rotors or the pads operating at, near, or past its maximum operating temperature, and it is likely an issue with the pad (because the MZ4 rotor is excellent). The pads work just fine when it's cool or warm, but once they're hot, they start "skipping" across the surface of the rotor. What exacerbates the problem, is the drilled rotors on the MZ4 Coupe makes that skipping effect worse.

I'll bet, if you take your pads off the car, you'll see the surface of the pad CHEWED UP. Bad. While you may not necessarily be experiencing "pad fade," the problem with pads that are designed to be aggressive street pads used for the track, is that they disguise their high temp behavior. The end result is, while they don't technically drop off the cliff like street pads do at high temps, that "skipping" effect at or near MOT causes that vibration like sensation. The only way to solve that, is through what I suggested above. Keep the temperature of the system well below MOT (by altering braking, or ducting, or move the MOT up).

So to circle back. What others suggest will likely help. True, high-end track pads can sustain operating temps in excess of 1,200ºF, moving your MOT way up compared to the pads you currently run. Cooling ducts will help. Digressive braking, which allows more time cooling the rotors and pads while giving you near threshold level brakes, will help. BBK calipers will help in that the braking force is spread out across multiple pistons and will alleviate the "skipping" effect.

What you propose to do, by going to large, fixed caliper brakes, will likely fix your issues. But I would heed the other poster's suggestions and use a dedicated, track only pad, not a dual purpose street/performance pad for your track use.
Hack, thanks again. I'm definitely going to wind up with two different pads for the different applications. After going for a BBK, it seems like it'd be a very foolish choice to compromise on pads.

I can't check the pads right now, but I can definitely confirm that the OE pads were torn up something bad after the last event I ran. They have loads of little pock marks all over them.

This was my second HPDE event, so I'm still learning a ton. The brakes on the M are really fantastic, even with these Cool Carbon pads.

Hack, I have two more questions for you - do you have the 6 or 4 piston fronts? I was looking at the 4 since they'd accomplish both items on my wish list, but do you think I'd see a big difference in the 4 and 6? Also, as far as durability, have you had to replace the rotors? Do they last a good amount of time?

Thanks!