View Single Post
      02-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
iZ4vel
Repair Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5i

The test I ran was a diagnostic test to see exactly how hot my coolant temp was because I believed the engine temp was extremely past where it should be and I believed that either the computer, or a temperature sensor wasn't registering the engine coolant temp correctly so my fan wouldn't turn on and the thermostat wouldn't open because of that. No matter what I did to try to get the engine to "overheat" past the exact middle range on the temp gauge it just wouldn't. That's when I searched the Zpost forum online and found out the Z4 has "hidden menu's" that you can access to get diagnostic information. It's free to access those hidden menus and isn't difficult at all. I ran test 7.0, coolant temp in Celcuis degrees. Thermostat and fan on the Z4 usually kick on and open at 97* degrees Celcius, in fact it's marked on the thermostat at 97*C. So know that I knew exactly what the coolant temp was, I wasn't worried about letting my car run as long as necessary in park to get it to the 97*C, where before I would shut it off cuz I didn't know if the temp the car was registering was correct, here, I know it is because it's a direct digital read out from the brand new temp sensor on the cylinder head. My Z4 finally reached 97*C and the fan kicked on and the thermostat opened. Again I think the reason this happened is because I did flusht eh system so it no longer had a clogged system and also because the ambient temperature was a lot colder than it usually is, those are my explanations for the increased warm up time. I also checked my thermostat because I suspected it was stuck open, it takes about an hour to remove the thermostat to check and I know u said you did that already. Maybe try running the diagnostic test I ran. Search "access hidden mums Z4."
Appreciate 0