Thread: "Sports Button"
View Single Post
      05-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
djlogan33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M-Coupe, M3 & X3

Question "Sports Button"

I own a 2007 Z4 M Coupe, which has a "Sport Button" on the console.
When I turn on the "Sports Button", I can feel a noticeable difference in the gas pedal meaning it is more sensitive and the acceleration is quicker with the same amount of pressure.
It’s almost impossible to drive the smoothly from a dead stop, taking off in first gear, with the “Sports Button” activated.
The below is from the BMW web site and the “Sport Button” is explained in very vague terms.
I am interested in their claims of “suspension stiffer” and “more direct and immediate steering”.
I am interested in a more detailed technical specification explanation (numbers and percent over standard setting) of exactly what happens to the acceleration, steering and suspension when the “Sports Button” is activated.
Does anyone know this information can be found?

From the BMW website:
Sport mode.
Tune up: when sport mode is activated, engine output and driving dynamics take on sportier qualities, letting you enjoy your BMW's dynamic character at its peak.

Depending on which BMW model you drive, the sport mode can be activated by a touch of the "Sport" button on the central console. Immediately, your BMW feels even more dynamic: the electronic control units switch to sportier settings, making the engine more responsive and the suspension stiffer.
This increase in sports-style characteristics is accompanied by a reduction in powered assistance for the steering at low and medium RPMs for more direct and immediate steering, giving you an even closer sense of the character of the road.