View Single Post
      09-07-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
wasupdu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0, CLS63 AMG

Garage List
I installed the AUX input today and it worked FLAWLESSLY. Very easy DIY mod. My car has navigation I had to connect 2 additional wires for the NAV voice commands into the AUX radio connector behind the dash (thanks for the tip found over at the Mini Cooper board). In fact, I ended up using the AUX cable that's for a Mini Cooper for two reasons:

1. I didn't want to pay $85 for the Z4 aux kit that includes the ashtray (especially since I mounted the AUX connector behind the dash). The Z4 AUX kit retails at BMW dealers for $85.....it's not $40 anymore. BavAuto has it for $75, but still I didn't wanna pay that much for something I wasn't going to use.

2. The ONLY connector they had in stock at the dealer was for the Mini Cooper. I figured I'd give it a shot since they didn't have anything for the 3-series in stock either. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I'm EXTREMELY impatient and didn't want to wait until Monday when they'd have a 3-series connector in stock.

All in all, I'm very pleased with how everything turned out and really how easy everything was. Installing the connector itself took 15 minutes max, but then I spent an hour or so routing the cable back inside the center console where the nav DVD slot is and the 6-disc changer. I have it set-up so my ipod is in the door of the center console. I would've liked to install the Dice ipod kit instead, but since I have a CD changer I couldn't do it. The AUX was the next best option for me.
Appreciate 0