12-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #77
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
Since this is my 2nd track day and possibly first time on a wet track, 2 questions I have:
- any additional prep work needed?
- do you recommend track insurance in general(and which insurance)?

Thx
It's a personal thing. If your coverage specifically excludes any type of event such as an HPDE, then it might be worth considering it. But that would apply to any track day, not just a wet one! Check your policy. But know that this advice applies to any track event, not just wet ones.

No additional prep. But make sure you have good street tires, with a good amount of tread left. Tread depth channels water. If it's cold and wet, I'd go with a bit more tire pressure cold that usual since the tires aren't going to heat up (say 34/35 to cold start rather than 31/32), and a tire with a bit more inflation (within reason) pushes water better.

Did you get an instructor? If not, and if it's wet, you might want to ask one of the more experienced drivers to go out with you. Go out with another more experienced driver during other sessions if you can. (This doesn't just apply to wet days, you can learn a lot from other drivers--I have.)

Aside from that, the main thing is to slow down and drive at your own pace. This isn't a race! Point people by if you need to (nothing wrong with that), and drive at a pace that you're comfortable with. If you're not comfortable during a session for whatever reason come in to the paddock. (I've done this many times--if something, or someone upsets me, or if I get tired and lose focus--nothing wrong with this and it always pays to know when to take some time out.)

Basically, driving in the wet means slowing down a lot and taking it easy (yes, I'm repeating myself). It means being deliberately smooth and almost "slow" with your inputs--brake, throttle, steering. Pretend there's a multi-layer wedding cake in the seat next to you--keep it from being turned into a mess! That means no abrupt steering, braking, or throttle inputs. It's a chance to really learn a lot!

My third track day was a wet day, and I didn't have any issues. Those who did drove too fast, and we too aggressive (and those who did just got a bit dirty, nothing more.) In fact, I think I was faster in some ways that wet day, because the wet forced me to slow down and be super smooth. I did everything in my power not to upset the car, and, by doing so, ended up being faster. Weird huh?

I'm sure Luc and Dave will cover this in the driver's meeting. You can always hit Lon and me up too if need be.
Appreciate 0